March 12, 2021
Good afternoon SODA Community,
I would like to summarize what happened at the Governing Council meeting on Tuesday 3/9/21. I presented the reentry plan based upon the state departments recommendation that all students have the opportunity to return to in person learning effective April 5, 2021. The Governing Council approved the plan I presented. What follows is a summary and timeframe for us to implement a safe and orderly transition for those students wishing to return to in person learning:
- On March 1st I mentioned, during our weekly staff meeting, teachers were instructed to begin coming into their classrooms to get them ready for the fire marshal’s inspection which is to occur on March 19, 2021. This inspection is to certify that our school meets the COVID safe guidelines as mandated by the NM Public Education Department and the NM Department of Health. This was approved by our Governing Council as part of the overall reentry proposal.
- The Governing Council also approved allowing us to begin bringing in students, both individual and small groups, beginning the week of March 22, 2021. These students have been identified as needing special assistance in order to help them get ready for reentry on March 29th. Mrs. Nelson, our school social worker, is working with staff and families. Contact her if you have concerns of students who might need this kind of assistance. She can be reached at 505.866.7632
- The Governing Council also affirmed the public education department’s expectation stating that teachers are cleared to return to their classrooms to provide instruction. The state has ramped up COVID vaccinations, moving teachers and educators to the front of the line to get their shots. With that and schools implementing recommended COVID safe practices and protocols, the state feels comfortable in telling districts that their teachers need to return for in person teaching in the classroom by April 5, 2021.
- To begin this process of returning to in person learning the Governing Council also approved that all staff are expected to begin teaching out of their classrooms on March 29, 2021 (still virtual during this week). This is being done so that teachers can use this week to become comfortable with their classroom environment and how teaching and live streaming their classes simultaneously will occur.
- To fully comply, with this new state directive, the Governing Council approved the recommendation that in person classroom instruction will begin for all students, whose parents have opted for “in person” on April 5, 2021. Keep in mind the state is allowing parents the option of keeping their children home to receive virtual instruction for the remainder of the year if they so choose. This means teachers will be teaching out their classrooms and will also be live streaming classes so that students will be able to logon virtually and receive the same instruction as those students in the classroom. This is something we have been planning for since last March when this pandemic arose that our goal was to offer in person and virtual live stream instruction at the same time.
- Beginning the week of March 22nd , we will be holding a number of trainings, for our staff, on our COVID safe protocols that are being developed based on the state’s recommended protocols and guidance documents. All this as we plan for a safe and successful reentry for our students and staff.
- More details, such as start and end times for elementary, preschool, and secondary, will be forthcoming. We will be on spring break the week of March 15th. If you have any questions, feel free to message us on FB or leave a voice message at 505.866.7632.We will get back to you as soon as possible.